Monday, June 1, 2015

Gatsby has arrived: Gatsby Chapter 3

To be honest, Chapter 3 was a disappointment in my eyes. This chapter was the first formal introduction of Gatsby, and the first time we've seen him interact with others. I think Gatsby's introduction was disappointing, and I was surprised that it was such a low-key, informal event when the whole book is surrounded around him and he is such a lavish character. At the dinner party, Nick described how "For a moment he looked at me as if he failed to understand. 'I'm Gatsby,' he said suddenly." (Fitzgerald 52) I was waiting for some grand, elegant introduction of Gatsby, but all we got was "I'm Gatsby." So boring! Part of me thinks that Fitzgerald did this on purpose, however, as I believe that he wanted Gatsby's first introduction to be minimal so that he could build upon his character later on. Even though I’m predicting that there will be more lavish and expansive portrayals of Gatsby down the line, I still wish that Fitzgerald hadn’t introduced Gatsby in the way that he did. Chapter 3 also dove further into the relationship between Nick and Jordan. What I find interesting the most about their relationship is the fact that Nick isn’t actually romantically attracted to Jordan, rather he is just interested in being friends with someone like her. Jordan represents the arrogance, but also the glamour of life in the Eggs, and I think that Nick wants to stay close to her so that he can fit in with the others. Also, the fact that he feels a sense of exclusivity around Jordan definitely plays a role in him befriending her. Speaking on his feelings about Jordan, Nick claims that “I wasn’t actually in love, but I felt a sort of tender curiosity. The bored haughty face that she turned to the world concealed something--most affectations conceal something eventually, even though they don’t in the beginning--and one day I found what it was” (Fitzgerald 62)  Nick is not shy in admitting that he has no romantic feelings towards Jordan, but rather just a strong curiosity about her. I feel like many people think that this is not a good thing, and that it’s misleading towards Jordan. However, I think it’s smart of Nick. Jordan is probably the best option for Nick out of all the women in the novel, and I think that if he doesn’t have romantic feelings for her, then he should at least befriend her. Jordan knows that ins and outs of the Eggs, and its residents, so I think that she would be a great person for Nick to count on. Besides, who wants to be alone in a place like the Eggs during the summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment